Sunday, August 24, 2008

Better



“The sun was bright and the sky was so clear this morning, Sonnie. Did you see it?” Angie Lyst smile brightly. It always made Sonnie think of an elf or pixie. “I wanted to just lay down in it all day. Curl up and sleep.”
Sonnie nodded and slid her sunglasses on. “Yeah, it was lovely.” Her olive skin had goose bumps now as the fog rolled over the City and small drops of dew-like moisture started to cover things. The sun fought hard, but was loosing the battle. “I wish we got out sooner. Sorry.”
The small coffee shop was busy and people moved in and out like ants. The outdoor table seemed like a good idea 45 minutes ago when the sun was unhindered by fog, but now Sonnie regretted the choice. She looked down at her arms again, adjusted her blouse, then looked over at Angie blankly. She enjoyed the time with Angie. She didn’t have to talk much. She liked just listening from time to time.
Angie sipped her coffee and shook her head. “Not a big deal.” Her hair was clipped at the sides and it made her look even younger. “I got Ron’s card. It was nice of him to try to…say he was sorry. Or whatever he was trying to do.” She shrugged. “Sounds like people are still miserable there. Horrible sweat shop.”
Sonnie was half listening. She removed her glasses and stared at the woman talking on her phone. “Does she have to talk so loud? I mean, she’s not talking through a fucking tin can on a string.” Sonnie glanced around her and noted that others in the coffee shop were staring as well. “We should all get together and drop that cell into her latte.”
Angie looked over at the woman and then back to Sonnie. “She just doesn’t know.”
“What were you saying about Ron?” Sonnie leaned back in her chair. “That he’s a prick?” She grinned.
Angie looked at her and swooned. She still had a little crush on Sonnie. Her almond eyes and smooth skin. A sweet crush. Like one you’d have on a puppy or something. “I was just saying he wrote a nice note after all that stuff happened. I mean, at least he made an effort.”
“I guess that’s something.” Sonnie slid a hand over her side. “I wish I recorded you going off on him. That was beautiful.” She giggled. “I didn’t know you could curse like that. Ron’s face.” She laughed harder. She had enjoyed the show immensely until she realized that Angie was truly out of control. Then the scene lost it’s humor. She had cried with Angie was dragged out of the building and into the ambulance. She shook her head and tried not to think about it.
Angie blushed. “I usually don’t, but he shouldn’t treat people that way.” She sipped and collected her thoughts. “When I went…all loopy? And ate that money and said all those things to Ron.”
“And dumped the copier on the floor and broke the coffee pot while saying everyone needed to e treated like humans and not cattle? I remember something about that, yes.” Sonnie smiled. They had talked through the events that lead up to Angie going “bat-shit-crazy” and it was an open forum for discussion now that the therapy sessions were chilling Angie out. “What about it?”
“I don’t think anyone but you got it, really. The fact that I wasn’t crazy BEFORE working there.” Angie frowned and thought for a moment. “I think they still don’t understand or think it was other pressures that caused it. You know?”
“I think more know than you think. We’ve talked about it some.” Sonnie shrugged. “People are rather complacent, however. I’m not sure they know it’s not the same everywhere. I mean, work is still work even at my new gig, but I don’t feel like burning the place down.”
“Well, you got out.” Angie smiled. “I’m glad.”
“Well, I just don’t want to play those games anymore. They treated you horribly. You didn’t deserve that.” Sonnie finally lost it. She looked over to the cell phone lady and waved at her. “Could you please be a little more quiet? Just a bit?” She made a motion to the others seated around them.
The woman was startled and looked at Sonnie dumbly for a moment before making a wincing face when it became clear. She mouthed Sorry and waved. Her voice dropped to a softer level immediately and her face was bright red.
“See, she didn’t know.” Angie smiled her wide smile again and Sonnie nodded.
“Guess not.” Sonnie smiled over at the woman, then looked down at her hands. “I wish I wasn’t a bitch all the time.”
“You’re not.”
“No, I pretty much am.” Sonnie laughed. “I guess I just don’t have the same feeling about people that you have. I pretty much think they are all just fucking assholes for the most part. You have this up with people thing I just can’t get a grip on. I don’t know.” She sighed and looked out into the street.
“You were a total sweetheart with all my stuff, Sonnie. Right? You stayed with me and made sure I was ok. You took days off.” Angie patted her hand, then removed it quickly. “You were really nice.”
Sonnie snatched up her purse and removed her credit card. She was uncomfortable. Angie knew the signs.
“I’ll still think of you as some evil, Asian bitch if you want me to. I know you’re pretty attached to that.” Angie grinned.
Sonnie rolled her eyes. “Blah blah blah.” She held the check out to the waiter who took it after sneaking a peek at Sonnie’s blouse. “Your therapy tricks won’t work on me.” She finished the rest of her coffee as she watched the waiter walk away. Her eyes narrowed a bit, then she let her carnal thoughts go. “How’s that going, anyway? The therapy and all?”
“I don’t wake up crying anymore. My Dad and I are talking again. I’m even thinking about taking that position at TCC. The offer is still open.”
“Whoa, pace yourself. You’ll be a valid member of society again and won’t want to hang out with me anymore.” Sonnie slid her glasses onto the top of her head.
“I’ll still go slumming with you from time to time for free coffee.”
“Just for that you’re paying for the movie and popcorn.” Sonnie winked and reapplied her lipstick. Angie noticed that it happened to be right when the waiter – a talk, Greek looking guy with blue eyes and dark hair – returned with the check.
“Have a nice day, Ladies.” He smiled.
Sonnie dragged the lipstick over her bottom lip, pressed her lips together, then smiled sweetly to him. “Thanks.” Sonnie watched him stroll off again. “Greek.” She pursed her lips and made a little low growing sound.
“You’re hilarious.” Angie shook her head and rolled her eyes.
“What?” Sonnie tried to look innocent, but couldn’t quiet pull it off. “Come on.” She stood and slid her purse up onto her shoulder.
Angie moved along behind her as Sonnie made her way through the patio and out to the sidewalk. She pointed down the street. “I’ll drive.” Sonnie made her way down the sidewalk then stole a glance at Angie. She looked like a teenager. Small and tucked tightly into herself so she wouldn’t occupy too much space. She knew Angie was better, but also knew there was more to work out for sure.
“I want a drink too. Maybe one of those meals with a little box of popcorn and candy and a soda in a cute little container?”
“Sounds good.” Angie mustered a smile.
Sonnie grabbed the back of Angie’s neck and shook it softly, then dragged a hand over the top of her head. “You’re doing good.”
“Easy, you’re out of character. You’re being nice.”
The two of them laughed and made they way to the car.

No comments: